Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Marketing Neophyte Meets the World (Wide Web, That Is)

I have got a confession to make: I am a selling neophyte. I have got no thought what I'm doing; I'm just making it up as I travel along. Gross Sales pitch? What is that? Self-promotion? Person clasp my manus or better yet, make it for me. Iodine don't cognize how to self-promote. I certainly don't cognize how to marketplace a book. In fact, my cognition of selling could acquire lost on a pinhead. I am a complete and arrant novitiate here. Okay, end of confession.

You might be wondering why I would do such as a confession. Simple. Because this is the place that many writers happen themselves in with the publication of their first book, especially if a little fourth estate prints them. While little fourth estates are a fantastic manner for an aspirant writer to interrupt into the field, they often necessitate the new writer to lend more than of their clip to their selling political campaign than a bigger house might. But if you are a neophyte like me, this tin nowadays quite a challenge. How make you marketplace yourself? Where make you start?

I started with the human race broad web. The Internet takes the conception of Word of Mouth and amplifies it to pathetic proportions. It broadens your range from the bantam spot of Earth you name place to the huge landscape of the world. Whenever you post something on the web, be it a blog or a societal network, your words are traveling into the four corners of the human race at the touching of a button. Literally. You are reaching a far greater figure of people, in a shorter amount of time, than you possibly could if you took the trip yourself.

The conception is staggering, but the procedure doesn't have got to be. If you happen yourself overwhelmed like I did in the beginning, start out little and spread out upon it. Think of it like a rock cast of characters into a pond. The initial contact with H2O is you and your book; you do this by casting yourself out there via your ain blog. The adjacent rippling is you finding a topographic point to lend a invitee post. The adjacent is you finding another topographic point to advance your work and so on, until you have got reached out across that pool to touch every possible shore within reach. It is a never-ending process, but it can be a very fulfilling one.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home